Thursday, September 16, 2010

Skype and Libraries

I'd heard about Skype for ages, but never tried it myself until I was at a family reunion in Texas last month and had the opportunity to chat with my cousin in Japan. It was so wonderful, we talked for 2 hours! By the end of the conversation, I felt like I knew her much better, and had the basic plans for a vacation underway.

Now I'm twice as determined to find ways to use this simple tool to enhance our library services. I'm been hoping to organize some author visits with bookgroups, but now with Skype's announcement of 10-way video/audio calling...I'm thinking it is time to try some online bookgroups with it!

Do any of you have experience with it? What would you like to try?

1 comment:

Librarianguish said...

I'm a BIG fan of Skype, though I haven't used it recently...

The 10-way video calling sounds great - before if you had more than two people it was sound only.

I know lots of authors like to use it to "visit" libraries.